Few days before the closing of the schools, with the warming of the weather, many families began to rush for circumcision. While the families are making their preparations in an excited rush, experts underline that circumcision is a serious operation that should never be taken lightly.
Table of Contents
Pediatric Surgery Specialist Assoc . Dr. Salih Somuncu stated that circumcision can cause serious problems that will cause a man to suffer not only when he is a child, but throughout his life if it is done with the wrong technique or when there are situations that make it undesirable, and stated that children aged 4-6 should definitely not be circumcised unless there is a medical necessity.
If there is no medical necessity, it should not be done between the ages of 4-6.
Assoc. Dr. Salih SomuncuHe said that unless there is a medical necessity, boys should definitely not be circumcised between the ages of 4-6. Somuncu explains this situation as follows; “This period is a critical period for the psycho-sexual development of boys and is known as the “phallic” period, which means “related to the penis.” may see circumcision as being punished by his father and almost as a result of cutting off his phallus (“castration”). Circumcision should be avoided between the ages of 4-6 unless it is medically necessary so that the child can complete his/her psycho-sexual development without being traumatized. The ideal age ranges for optional circumcision are 6-15 months, 2-4 years, 7-10 years.
Explain the circumcision to the child
Circumcision is a serious surgical procedure.
Saying that circumcision is a serious surgical intervention, Associate Professor Salih Somuncu stated that this procedure must be done under general anesthesia. Dr.Salih Somuncu said, ” Circumcision is a serious surgical procedure and it is not recommended to be performed under local anesthesia. The child circumcised under local anesthesia is not likely to feel any pain, and he experiences intense feelings of anxiety and fear. Moreover, the surgeon and his team, who are affected by the child’s anxiety and reactions, The choice of the surgeon who will perform the circumcision, unfortunately, is the least important part of the circumcision process, which is unfortunately often the least important part of the circumcision process! circumcision is not right.
Circumcision is medically necessary
- Adherence of the foreskin to the extent that it closes the urinary exit hole (“phimosis”): It should be noticed in the newborn period and should be corrected with circumcision!
- After the age of three, the foreskin is still attached to the tip of the penis
- Penile circulatory disorder (“paraphimosis”) due to retraction of the foreskin: It is very inconvenient to pull back the skin at the tip of the penis to clean it! If not noticed, the tip of the penis or almost all of it can be gangrene and lost!
- Recurrent episodes of penile tip and foreskin inflammation (“balanoposthitis”)
Some of the scientific evidence for the medical benefits of circumcision
- Ensuring the continuity of penile tip cleaning
- Prevention of recurrent penile inflammation
- Less urinary tract inflammation if done in the neonatal period
- Less incidence of back-flow (“reflux”) disorder of urine from the bladder to the channels called “ureters” located between the kidneys and the bladder
- Decreased sexually transmitted diseases
- Reduced risk of cervical cancer in women with whom circumcised men have sexual intercourse
- Reduced risk of penile head cancer
- Situations where circumcision is medically objectionable
- Ongoing health problems
- Any serious illness
- Bleeding-coagulation disorders
- Active infections
- Conditions where the urethra opens to different parts of the penis from its normal place
- Congenital wide anomaly of the urinary canal
- “Chordy” deformity where the penis is tilted forward
- An anomaly of “fusion” where the skin of the penis and the skin of the scrotum are adhered