Hair dyeing processes that women do to make themselves feel more beautiful and happy can sometimes result in frustration! Hair dyeing, especially started at a very early age, can result in serious allergic reactions. Allergies from hair dye; It can cause redness, crusting, watering, itching and edema in the whole body on the face, eyelids and behind the ears.
To learn about the allergic effects of hair dyes, which can cause serious health problems, first get a patch test. If there is an allergic substance detected as a result of the test, choose paints that do not contain this substance. Take care to dye your hair at long intervals, not frequently, and to keep the dye in the hair for a short time. Be wary of permanent dyes that contain PPD.
Medical Park Bahçelievler Hospital Dermatology Specialist Dr. Gokhan Okan ; He warned that hair dyes used with the dream of getting beautiful can cause allergic reactions and cause serious harm to health:
- hair; It is the complement of our beauty, it affects the external appearance of a person. For this reason, those who want to make a difference in their appearance start by changing the color of their hair first. Change of hair color; While it makes the person feel good, sometimes undesirable side effects from the dye can also be seen. In recent years, there has been an increase in allergic diseases caused by hair dyes. Starting the hair dyeing process at an early age is one of the most important reasons for this.
- Hair dyes are substances that stick to the outer surface of the hair and change the color of the hair. There are different types of dye according to the duration of stay on the hair and dyeing mechanisms. There are different types of dyes: permanent, temporary, natural, semi-permanent and progressive.
The most allergenic permanent dye
– Permanent paints are the most preferred type of paint today. The reason why it is called permanent; The reason is that the dye settles on the top layer of the hair and cannot be easily removed after washing. The re-staining process takes between 4-6 weeks. These types of paints can be in powder, cream or liquid forms.
– Temporary hair dyes; It is an option for those who want to dye their hair for a special occasion and achieve a short-term effect. When the person washes their hair, the dye will be removed from the hair. The risk of causing allergic reactions is very low.
– Among the natural hair dyes, henna is the most well-known. These types of dyes, which can give very intense color, do not give stable color on the hair and quickly disappear, limiting their popularity. Compared to other dye types, henna has a longer waiting time on the hair.
Progressive paint for men
Semi-permanent hair dyes are mostly preferred for dyeing white hair. They are strong in coloring and stay on the hair longer than temporary dyes. Depending on the frequency of washing, its effects continue on the scalp for 3-6 weeks.
Metallic substances in progressive hair dyes are responsible for the discoloration of the hair. Hair color changes after regular use. They are especially preferred by men to darken the hair color. The most preferred material is lead. The disadvantages are that the resulting color is not permanent, requires regular use and has a limited color range.
Frequent dyeing spoils hair
Hair dyes can sometimes cause unwanted effects. These side effects are more especially in permanent dyes. The probability of hair dyes being absorbed from the skin and passing into the blood is negligible. Hair dyeing at very frequent intervals and for a long time; It damages the hair follicles and causes the hair to appear brittle, dull and pale. In order not to damage the hair roots; People should pay attention to dyeing their hair at long intervals and to keep the dye in the hair for a short time.
In sensitive people, any substance in the content of hair dyes can cause the development of an allergic reaction. However, the most frequently responsible for this reaction is the substance PPD (paraphenylenedimane). In sensitive people, the second contact of the body with this substance causes the onset of allergic reactions. There is no allergic reaction after the first contact. When that substance is encountered for the second time, it remembers that substance and a direct reaction is observed.
Watch out for itching and redness
allergic reaction; Although it can be in the form of mild redness, crusting and watering on the face, eyelids, behind the ears, it can also manifest itself in the form of severe itching, watering and edema that can be observed throughout the body.
The allergy-causing PPD substance is also present in the temporary tattoo. PPD is a potent skin sensitizer. Sensitive people are greeted with PPD by getting temporary tattoos at their resorts. Watery, red, itchy sores are seen in the areas where temporary tattoos are made. After itching, those areas can become infected. Swelling may be seen in the lymph nodes. People who describe an allergic reaction after a temporary tattoo in their history are more likely to have an allergic reaction to hair dyes. Since the PPD substance is also included in temporary tattoos, the society should be informed about the consequences of temporary tattoos.
Catch the allergen with patch testing
Patch testing is used to detect the allergic substance. The test is based on the principle that allergic substances are attached to the back of the person and evaluated after 48-72 hours. During this period, test materials should not be removed from the back and should not be wetted. According to the reaction of the adhered materials on the second and third days, the allergic substance is detected. According to the test result, the patient is informed about the allergic substance contained in the dye and not to use hair dyes containing that substance. If an allergic substance is detected after the patch test; When buying hair dye, the label information of the product should be paid attention to, and the dye that does not contain that substance should be preferred.
Practical test tip for those who dye their hair for the first time
People who will dye their hair for the first time should test the dye before using it for the first time. The dye should be tested on the inside of the elbow and behind the ear. For two days, the person should not take a shower. If signs such as redness, itching and watering occur in the contact areas, dyeing should not be done. If the hair dyeing process is to be done for the first time, it should be noted that it is not at home.
If there is an allergy, the first thing to do is wash your hair with plenty of water.
When allergic symptoms are felt after dyeing, the dye should be removed from the hair immediately as the first thing. For this, the hair should be washed with plenty of water. In case of hair allergy; Compresses to reduce watering, antihistamine tablets with antipruritic properties and creams containing cortisone are used. Antibiotics are used if the wounds are infected. In severe, widespread cases, systemic cortisone therapy is used.